This week started off with a visit to our new branch. I had a member translate for me this week and he was as good but tended to summarize a bit. So the speaker would go for about 2.5 minutes (picture the Swedish chef..."orga dir ga doo, ork gadork") and then he'd say, "she says she's happy for the church". Tough to get any details but everyone is friendly enough. One of the counselors to the branch president stopped me on my way out and asked me when I'd be back so that I could speak. Just like living in Owyhee, everyone takes their turn speaking every couple of weeks I suppose.
I signed the rental contract on our new place on Monday, it's all official now. So that was a good start to the week. The owner will be out on May 19th, so that allows me to move in before Kathy and the kids get there. Because it's all furnished and 3 bedrooms, I may have one or two of the others from work who are living in hotels stay there as well until the family shows up. We'll see what they arrange as well.
Tuesday night, my laptop died on me....geek details, I installed Adobe Acrobat and then it killed my email and word processing. Somewhere along the way, the email server in Colorado crashed (and I think it's not just conincedental, but I'm not 'fessing up) and so I couldn't email. It's a sad commentary on life just how much that impacted my work day!
Wednesday I traveled to London and then on Thursday flew back to Newquay, Cornwall. Spent the rest of the day at the consultant's offices. Friday was more of the same. Today (Saturday) I went into the consultant's office until 3pm and then back to the hotel. Decided that I needed to go for a walk and found my way up to Pendennis castle, just up the street. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendennis_Castle.
Here are some of my pictures. I arrived at 3:30pm and the castle was closing at 4pm so I didn't get to see much.
This is a view of the castle from the street in front of my hotel (not from my room though)
This is the hotel up the street from mine (I'm at the Royal Duchy, but this one looked good from the street, I thought!) Again, more interesting chimneys.
Here's the enterance to the castle from the street....everything in the UK seems to have a "Harry Potter" feel to it.
Apparently the castle has been used for defenses of the Cornish coast for centuries, including emplacements from World War II. I found this to be an odd juxtaposition.
Here's the map and description of the whole area. Better than anything I can describe.
This appears to be a fairly recently constructed building, I think the sign above the door says 1901...compared to the rest of the region, that's recent.
Here's the front of the castle, there was a wedding going on today. Inside, there was a chapel area with benches, etc, not so different from the ice hotel. Outside, there's the flowers over the entrance and people in tuxes and gowns.
Here's a view from the tower of the castle looking back at the gate and entrance. Notice the gun positions.
Here's a view on the other side of the castle, looking out over the estuary instead of the harbor. It was a sunny day and the breeze was blowing, notice all the sail boats?
Here's a view of the castle from the gun emplacements...I just like the stone work.
Here's a similar view to the last, but this one shows the gate to the castle and it's not a mote, but where a mote would be!
And these next two are just for Kathy. This guy, I can only assume, was playing for the wedding. Obviously, the Cornish are not Scottish, ... he was there. Just standing there in the grass playing. I made me laugh when one of the ladies from the gift shop came out and was telling him that something didn't sound right with the pipes. She kept telling him to change this and modify that. As far as I'm concerned, how do you tell when the pipes are out of tune?
Again, another photo of the pipes player, it just seemed so....windswept is the word I kept thinking of!
There is a significance to the 'lone piper'. I'd tell you....but you'd just tease me.
What a beautiful weekend you've had. I wish I could be in your front pocket. Seeing what you are seeing. Breathing your same air. *sigh* *sniffle*
Alix said:
Hmph!! Tourists!! *grumble* Tell him if it sounds like a Wa-Wa guitar; if it makes your eyes cross or your ears bleed - - TUNE IT!!! - alix
AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
I can hear you responding with, "what if my ears bleed EVERY time I hear bagpipes"??
*duck Matt* Alix just threw a shoe
The only difference I could hear between when I arrived and after the lady came out... have you ever heard a trombone that's full of spit and needs to be blown out? It was the same thing, like he had a frog in his throat. But... in tune? Please....
I always thought bagpipes were like Haggis, even those who've acquired the taste rarely like it.