My Holiday in London

Posted by Guano & Associates | Posted in | Posted on 4:10 PM

Saturday, I flew back from Truro (Newquay), Cornwall and landed at Gatwick in London. There, I met with an old friend, Claudio Da Silva. He and I were in the same mission in Brasil and haven't seen each other in at 17 years. He looked much the same, but well, I can't necessarily say the same for me. He and I rode in the car service (provided by the company) for nearly 2.5 hours to the hotel. From there, we got on the Underground to South Kensington Station where he showed me where the LDS chapel is located. We walked around for a bit, had some lunch, and then walked to Harrod's where I bought a London guide book. Claudio hopped on a train that took him back to the Isle of Wight and I went back to find my way home to my hotel. My directions were slightly flawed, but I found my way home, even stopping to buy some pasties for dinner. Went to bed and slept in on Sunday morning. In the morning, I got up, hopped back on the underground and made my way to Tower Hill. As you get out of the Underground, here's the sight you see, the Tower of London:

I walked around to side and took this photo. There's not a lot of description here, I justified my trip to these places without the family by telling myself I wouldn't go in, just walking around the outside was ok!



Here's more Tower of London:

I was able to get some fellow tourists to take my picture in front of the Tower Bridge. Luckily this was a fairly sunny day, it was rather cold and rainy the day before.

More Tower of London, I didn't spend enough time to get the history of the different portions of the building, assuming I'd get a better education with Kathy and the kids.

I walked down the Thames and got this view of the Tower Bridge from the other side of the river. Because the sun was to my back, I think it made a better photo:

Walking back to Tower Hill, I saw on the opposite side of the road this portion of the Butler's Wharf (I think that's what it is called):

I walked down to the end of the wharf, through these buidlings of flats. There was, what appeared to be, a private bridge. The tide must have been out and you could see this mud flat between the buildings. Dunno why, it just seemed like a very cool photo!:

I walked back to the Tower Bridge and happened to look up just before getting back on the Thames. This gargoyle caught my eye and got it's picture taken:

I probably should have taken better notes, but I think this called All Hallows Church (http://www.ourpasthistory.com/England/all-hallows-by-the-tower). The juxtaposition of all these different styles among all the different buildings was intriguing to me:

Directly behind me from the previous photo was this shot of the Tower and Tower Bridge. Nice summary photo:
On the street next to the All Hallows plaza, there was this road sign, again, just caught my eye. I was playing tourist, so I might as well take all the photos I wanted, right?:
After finishing on Tower Hill, I got back on the Underground and found my way to Westminster. As I came out of the station, I immediately saw Big Ben and then the London Eye across the way. Rather than try to cross the road, I stayed on my side and walked over to the London Eye to buy a ticket. If I remember right, the voice in the box said it takes you up 135m above the ground.

I'm sure if I had looked at my guidebook better or if I had even brought it with me, I would have been able to tell you what this building is, but I'm sure someone will tell me!

It dawned on me as I was walking back to Big Ben that I had seen this view before. I don't remember where this came from, but I assume I got it from Will who scanned some of Mom's, Lorraine's or Dee's photos. I'm on the wrong side of the road, I see now, but close enough, right?

As you cross the river and get next to the clock, you look to your left and see this:
As one of those Mormons, I've never been able to keep it straight between abbies, cathedrals, churches, chapels, and the like. I believe Parliment meets here but I can't tell you which part of Westminster this is, but it's directly on the opposite side of the building shown in the previous photo. Oliver Cromwell, I believe.

More the same building:

I crossed the street to the churches, and took some photos there. Again, don't ask me which is which, I was just walking by and taking photos!



A photo of Big Ben from the opposite side:

Ok, this part is where the Beavis and Butthead in me kicked in. Call it jetlag, call it too much time in front of the TV as a child, call it being dropped on my head too much, but I had to stifle a giggle as I walked around and saw these signs. There in the first one, I had always heard of "Drawn and Quartered", but I guess I never realized "Hung" was in there too.

I didn't even want to guess why anyone travel through the Dead Man's Hole.

Just so my mother doesn't think I'm that vulgar, I took a picture more clearly explaining what Dead Man's Hole was exactly.

Comments Posted (5)

  1. that is so exciting to me! I a love English history and especially the Henry 8th and Elizabethian eras....so interesting. thanks for sharing! I just need to figure out how to get there now!

  2. Dead man's hole? Pirates of the Caribbean 4?

  3. Do you set me up for these things Will? How am I supposed to properly respond to your comments knowing my mother may read these?!?!?!?

  4. Its a test. Can you still make a joke about it and not get scolded by your mother?

  5. Wow babe...great photos. What a DAY!!!

    hmmmmm....my Sunday?? I went to church for 3 hours, and drove aimlessly for 2 (while the house was showing). I vote for YOUR Sunday, next week. Sounds a bit more interesting, eh?

    Thanks for saving the 'historical bits' for when the kids and I get there. You know me....we'll be there for HOURS as I read every plaque, sign, post, and pamphlet. *snicker* Be prepared. ;)

    loveyou!!!!