There will be no photos of this one
Posted by Guano & Associates | Posted in | Posted on 7:25 AM
Yesterday, my boss Chris and I drove up to Pajala for the day. I met with the Russian geologists working on some cross sections; that took a couple of hours and then we headed off to Finland. Markus met up with us in Pajala. Today, we are having a project meeting in Kolari so we needed to spend the night. The selection of hotels in Kolari is rather limited, so we drove an extra 20 minutes to Yllas and spent the night there. It's a much nicer hotel because it's close to the ski hill.
After dinner, Chris and Markus decided they wanted to hit the sauna and pool. "But guys, I didn't bring any swim trunks or anything, so I'll pass."
"You can rent a suit from the front desk."
After a bit of trying to get out of it, I relented. The lady at the desk asked what size I needed and I replied, "Fatboy". To my horror, she pulled out a pair of Speedos and said, "will this be big enough"?
Not knowing what to say, I agreed. Back in the room, I felt like something was horribly wrong, put on my robe and met the guys in the hallway. Back down at the desk, on the way into the spa, I asked for a larger size. Trying them on, they weren't any better.
In the spa, you must shower, without swimsuit or anything, before entering the sauna or pool. Then, you tear off a piece of wax paper, climb into the sauna naked, sit on the wax paper and sweat. I saw more strange naked men than I care to for the rest of my life.
Then, we walked to the pool, where I stayed immersed in the water, hoping not to subject the whole community to the crime against humanity of me wearing a Speedo.
Finally, after about an hour, we cleaned up and headed back to the room. Part of me is still wondering..."what was I thinking"?

I love how once you think their could not be another hilarious sauna story the next thing you know Matt is in the sauna again. I think secretly you kind of like it.
I haven't laughed that hard in days. Way to show those Europeans how its done!
Well I'm a little perplexed. I never thought I'd see the day when a Blattman would show so much skin, especially this Blattman. Also, what's the point of the wax paper? Does wax paper really make you more comfortable sitting where someone else's naked sweaty butt just was?? eeww
Oh! and did you have to peel the wax paper off your butt after you stood up? hahaha
thanks bunches for the visual. I just made an appointment for a labotomy to see if they can scrap that image out of my brain.
Wow Matt, you left me speechless. I guess wax paper is all the protection one's butt needs these days.
I know Martha Stewart always prefers wax paper over aluminum foil. I wonder if they have sensibilities.
If I remember right, I believe she uses parchment paper. It holds up to heat better.
Next time you go, use foil AND parchment paper. You'll be the envy of all those Swedes.