The trip south and other bits
Posted by Guano & Associates | Posted in | Posted on 8:41 PM
Wednesday morning, the kids and I got up early and drove the 10.5 hours to Stockholm. Not much of note other than we took a wrong turn in downtown Stockholm and got lost. I had to call Kathy who was waiting for us at the temple and she had to chase down someone who spoke English AND knew their way around Stockholm. As they were trying to figure out where I was so that they could help, I stumbled onto the right road and made it the rest of the way.
At the temple, Kathy and I did work for all of Mom's names and a bunch that I had worked on in 1999. The ladies helping Kathy commended her for bring in such "strong Norwegian names" as an American! One of the men helping me was Norwegian and every time he said his name, he said, "Bror Blattman" which is "Brother Blattman", but is sounded more like "Pooorrrrr Blattman"....kind of like, "Poor Blattman, he's been here all day...".
We stayed in the temple apartments (VERY inexpensive!), going through the temple on Thursday and Friday. On Saturday, Daniel and I helped out in the morning, ate some lunch and then got a late start...not until 3pm or so. From there, we drove up the road to Bollnäs and then on to Ljusdal. The night was cold, -10C by the time we arrived in Ljusdal. We finally found a BAD hotel in Ljusdal and spent $200 for a couple of rooms with single beds.
The churches all along the route had candles burning at all of the graves, some sort of night to remember the dead....Mexican traditions in Sweden (LOL)! Kathy made me get out of the car at the church in Ljusdal but it was so cold, I couldn't stay for long, the picture didn't turn out very well anyway.
In the morning, we drove north through Ramsjö and then the rest of the way home. After 11 hours on the road, we're all glad to be home.
Other bits:
Our house rented out this weekend, so at least that's good news.
My boss was let go this week due to a "reorganization", his last day is next week. We'll have to see how this all shakes out. He was one of several people asked to leave.
Kathy's starting school again this week, this will get her caught up with all the classes she missed the first time around.

Sounds like a great trip. Strong Norwegian names? strong smelling more likely!
Does the Hotel du Temple have a missionaries to valet park and leave food storage on your pillow in the morning?
How fun. I'm sure Nancy's already putting the Stockholm temple on her map of places to go.
What the heck? They celebrate Dia De Los Muertos is Sweden? Really, how can you miss it?