Early Autumn in Sweden

Posted by Guano & Associates | Posted in | Posted on 12:04 PM



I don't know if it is really early or not, but it's getting cold and the leaves are turning. First week in September feels early to me!
We got in the car this weekend and drove, just trying to see what we could see. Drove north on E10 to Gällivare and then on to Kiruna, it's a long drive, about 4.5 hours one-way but there was a lot to see. Kiruna is home to LKAB and has a long mining history. I've heard that they are actually relocating parts of the town because of the underground mining activities but I've not found hard documentation on it.
On the way up, we saw cars pulled over to the side of the road everywhere. Some were berry and mushroom pickers, running around with they're combo comb/scoop to get the berries. Others were hunters in camo and bright oranges (why bother with the camo if you've got to wear the orange???) out moose hunting. There were several stands right along side the highway with men sitting hunkered down waiting for the moose to walk by. Then, about 4pm, we saw a young female(?) cross the highway. As you drive down the highway, it's common for oncoming traffic to flash their headlights to let you know there's something in the road ahead. Usually it's reindeer but as we came up, there was this young moose on the side of the road. As we approached, it walked into the middle of the road, passed for a few seconds and then ran off into the woods on the other side. I didn't get a photo, but Dan did, I think with his camera.
There was a market in Kiruna and Kylie got a nylon-stocking looking thing, flesh-colored with tattoos printed on it. She wore it around until it chaffed her armpit! You can see it in the "looking tough" photos!
Nice weekend to get away!

Comments Posted (3)

  1. September seems early to us as well considering it is still in the high 80's with 50% humidity today. Enjoy the crisp, cool weather.

  2. Yeah, Will bought me one of those tattoo sleeves on a date...you know where you each get 5 bucks and see who gets the best present for the other person.

  3. I pine for autumn. I'm sure it will be gorgeous when all the leaves change.